Charlie Yovino is
the principal for Global HR GRC, and serves as an expert on HR governance, risk management, and compliance (GRC). Prior to creating Global HR GRC, Charlie led the Atlanta Global HR Services (GHRS) practice for PwC and was a national resource for HR and benefit plan GRC, focusing on financial management, risk management and controls, transaction effectiveness, and HR operational excellence.
Prior to joining PwC, Charlie was a tax/ERISA associate with a Washington, DC law firm, and served as a Senior Reviewer in the Employee Plans Technical and Actuarial Division in the National Office of the IRS.
Charlie received his B.A. (cum laude) in history (with honors) from Hofstra University, a J.D. from American University, and a Masters of Law in Taxation from Georgetown University Law Center.
Among the variety of projects on which Charlie consulted, are:
- Design and administrative considerations for all types of qualified and nonqualified retirement plans, including preparation of administrative manuals and quality controls
- Compliance, controls, risk management and governance reviews covering all plan and benefit types (including qualified retirement plans, nonqualified plans, COBRA, HIPAA, ACA, cafeteria plans, and others), which in the aggregate benefit approximately 3 million participants
- Developing strategy and implementation roadmap for global HR compliance organization
- Evaluate global benefit plan governance, compliance and risk management and propose strategy to improve GRC
- Training of plan committee members and employee benefits and internal audit personnel
- Work-flow and staffing studies of employee benefits departments
- Plan spin-offs, mergers and terminations
- Due diligence reviews and golden parachute calculations
- Total benefit program design and implementation following corporate spin-offs
- Implementing benefits-based tax strategies, such as 404(k) dividend deductions
- Project management of complex benefit program implementations, including open enrollment, benefit outsourcing, vendor transitions, and global GRC reviews involving 7-32 countries
- Benefit plan vendor searches and reviews
Sampling of speeches and publications: